Tuesday 25 May 2010

Food for those who don't want it

As I've mentioned (read moaned about) before, I've had problems with eating lately thanks to lovely drug side effects (that's medicinal drugs, not recreational - I've never even tried any of those). I know from also having suffered from awful awful morning sickness that sometimes you WANT to eat, but the fear of boomerang food means that you just go hungry.

Anyway, today is one of those days I'm hungry and NEED to eat, but nothing takes my fancy. This is my go-to recipe for a nutritious and non-offensive, filling meal for the sickly. It's also packed full of veggie-bubble goodness.



Ingredients
3-4 potatoes
1 onion
1-2 carrots (depending on how carroty you like it)
2 sticks of celery
2 garlic cloves
2 stock cubes
water
a splash of soya sauce (optional)
cabbage (optional)

Step 1: Boil about 1 litre (2 pints) of water
Step 2: Peel and quarter the potatoes, throw them in the pot
Step 3: Peel and slice the carrots, throw them in the pot
Step 4: Crush and dice the garlic, throw in the pot
Step 5: Dice the onion, throw in the pot
Step 6: Throw the stock cubes in the pot
Step 7: Chop the celery into 1-2 inch pieces, throw in the pot
Step 8: Add boiled water and soya sauce, then cover
Step 9: Allow the pot to boil, then turn down the heat to a brisk simmer
Step 10: Add cabbage if you like it. I love it and add lots, but I realise that my love of cabbage is actually quite freaky.
Step 11: Allow the stew to cook for 20-30 mins or until the potatoes are soft (but not crumbly).

Serve with rice. I like to ladle it up (with plenty of the soup) into a bowl, mash it a bit, then mix the rice in. It's nutritious, very satisfying and very easy on the tummy.

These amounts should serve 2-4.

Ready to eat!


The beauty of this recipe is that you've got quite a few different veggie groups in there, you can add/change/substitute other things as you fancy, you don't have to prepare things very much, just peel, chop and throw them in. It's simple to make too, which is just what you need when you're feeling a bit under the weather.

Photos to follow.

1 comment:

  1. It looks lovely :)
    I ate a lot of similiar meals when I was struglling with the hyperemesis, and they really do help.
    Hope you feel better soon x

    ReplyDelete