Tuesday 23 February 2010

Let them eat VEG!




This is one of those recipes I made up when I needed a substantial lunch while also needing to use up a load of veggies - not to mention fill my little one with something nutritious.

It's a pasta sauce, but would work over potatoes too..or maybe a rice bake?

1 clove of garlic
1 onion
1 leek (smallish)
1 pepper (I used yellow, but I can't tell the difference in taste)
2 sticks of celery
2 tablespoons of tomato paste (I use the double concentrated one)
loadsa grated cheese
teensy weensy bit of stock cube (I used a bit of veggie and a bit of chicken)
glug of olive oil

How to:

Heat up olive oil in a saucepan.
Add chopped garlic and onions.
Enjoy the yummy smell.
Add chopped leek, pepper and celery, pop on the lid and allow to simmer for a bit. Do make sure you stir and don't let things burn!
Add the stock cube with a leeeeetle bit of boiling water.
Add the tomato paste.
Stir.
When you think it's done, whizz it with a stick blender if you have one (it's also ok non-whizzed, but tis easier for feeding children/men if it's pureed).
Stir in the cheese.

Pour over pasta/potatoes/whatever and enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. I like the sound of this, I might make up a batch of it and freeze it in my annabel karmel cube tray. It should freeze ok?

    ReplyDelete